Thursday, March 27, 2008

Work of Women, Barack and Hillary


Yesterday I attended a Work of Women (WOW) luncheon here in OKC and was so wonderfully happy I left my terribly busy stressful workday to hear news from Nepal. From the WOW website:
"Women make up 70 percent of the nearly 3 billion people who live on less than $2 a day. They work a majority of the world's working hours but receive small fraction of the income, and often have no decision making power related to finances. Half a million women die every year from preventable complications of pregnancy. One in three women will be assaulted, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Girls are the majority of the children who can't or are not allowed to attend school."

So as I ate my free lunch, drank my clean water, drove my gas guzzling car back to my job and then came home to a husband who I have mutual respect for I realized I greatly needed a reality check.

Also on a similar note, congratulations to Hillary for raising a strong daughter! A child who reacts this way comes from a strong woman who has taught her child values. However, as Patrick reminded me, Barack made a better spouse choice than Hillary. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the politics of life!

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I like this post on you blog. May I mention that we have a daughter that will be afforded all the best opportunities to deliver a healthy grandchild. What a luxury that a lot of the world cannot afford. When you have things to your advantage, you can choose one of two philosophies: circle the wagons to keep what you have and keep others from diluting or decreasing what you have, or realize how blessed you are and have an overwhelming sense that you need to share your bounty with those less fortunate. I think these opposing philosophies characterize the political divide in America.