Friday, January 30, 2009

The Stuff I Have Thrown Away


I help coordinate a summer camp every year for school age kiddos which is centered around a theme. This year's theme is Sustainability - Reduce Reuse Recycle and Rebuy. Since I get to decide (please someone take this from me ---- not!) I want to impress on our little ones the significance of everything we 'use' to live here in Oklahoma. Additionally, Oklahoma isn't the most "green" state so it could be more challenging than I anticipate.

So, this also leads to several changes I am making in my little neck of the world. As of January 1, 2009 I have pledged to purchase nothing for 3 months --- except makeup or hair products --- some things are hard to wean off of. We have also started composting. Well, step 1 of composting is happening here in Elderville --- we have been collecting food scraps for 4 weeks!

Stay tuned tomorrow for the beginning of the compost! (Poor poor poor Patrick, he is a good man)

1 comment:

Patrick said...

We made a composter out of a trash can and we will see what happens. Will probably attract raccoons.....I hope.